12/30/2009

For Santa's Sake, Be Specific!

Not satisfied with what Santa brought you? Unhappy with the gifts given to you in life? Wondering why you never get what you want? Reminder to kids of all ages: be very specific about your dreams.

It's a lesson learned by one Bear Coleman in Walt Loves the Bearcat, a story of love, football and some very potent daydreams. Roll clip!



“Think back to something you asked Santa Claus for,” said B.O. “Doesn’t matter if it was the real Santa or your parents--whoever it was that made your Christmas dreams come true. Go back to when you believed a Santa existed in your life, and you asked that Santa for something, something you were full of passion over, something you just had to have, or life as you knew it would cease to exist.”

“At this age, I have a definite answer for that,” said Bear. “But as a kid--I don’t remember him being so attached to any one boy--I mean toy.”

“Either one,” said B.O.

“I did ask for a microscope one time, but I don’t remember it being a big deal,” said Bear. “In fact, I really never played with it. How do you play with a microscope? I guess I never asked Santa for much.”

“I’ll give you my point for free anyway,” sighed B.O. “Most kids get passionate over something they want for Christmas. When they do, the quest begins. They know exactly what they want, the color, the size, the accessories, where to get it, everything crucial to their dream. They make sure Santa knows all those details, too. Kids don’t take chances. They know how to be very specific about their dreams, because before the world tells them otherwise, kids believe in asking for exactly what they want, then giving Santa and the world a shot at making those dreams come true.”

“What if Santa can’t afford it?” asked Bear. “Or it’s not available in the right color? Or outta stock because all the other boys and girls want him—it?

“You really don’t have a lot of practice at this, do you?” said B.O.

“If you mean believing a white man from the North Pole is gonna make all my dreams come true, that would be a definite ... negative,” said Bear.

“Kids leave the details to Santa and Santa’s helpers, because kids understand their miracles don’t happen by themselves,” said B.O. “It takes helpers they see and don’t see, and helpers they know and don’t know. This whole Santa thing—it ain’t just a marketing gimmick, after all.”

“It ain’t?” asked Bear.

“Everything around you is here to remind you that your dreams can come true,” said B.O.

“The Green Bay Packers,” said Bear. “I fell in love with the Green Bay Packers and I wanted a Green Bay everything, t-shirt, ski cap, poster, rain jacket, bobble head. But most of all, I wanted a Green Bay Packers lettermen jacket.”

“I can tell by your glow, even in this cave, Santa delivered,” said B.O.

“She sure did,” said Bear. “Mama Rent called all over town and finally found a mall a million miles away that had one in my size. We both broke down and cried.”

“Would never have happened, if you hadn’t believed in Santa,” said B.O.

“So what--you’re my new Santa?” asked Bear.

“And if I was?” asked B.O. ...


To see if Bear gets his wish, read Walt Loves the Bearcat. And remember, next time a Santa comes into your life, be sure to ask for exactly what you want, and for goodness sake, be specific!