7/29/2010

An AIDS Story 25 Years in the Making

July 2010 marks the 25th year of my living with HIV/AIDS. I found out I was infected the night Rock Hudson shocked the world in 1985. I was a 23 year-old college grad of one month. Life expectancy was 12-18 months. I thought I was going to die.

Twenty-five years later, I'm still here. Anything is possible. Miracles happen. You are not guaranteed to die of AIDS.

I first heard those words in 1988 at an HIV information meeting. The very idea seemed like science fiction, but ya gotta believe. You gotta believe that anything is possible. You gotta help those impossible odds by doing your best to stay healthy, live healthy and think healthy.

HIV-P.O.V. is a blog column at Randy Boyd's Blocks. This week on the Blocks, it's HIV-P.O.V. WEEK, featuring the best of HIV-P.O.V., plus new reflections on living more than half my life with HIV/AIDS.