9/03/2009

Best of the Blocks

From a new way to look at HIV, to a whole new way to take to the road, these are the Randy Boyd's Blocks that readers are reading the most:

It's a dangerous and scary world for anyone trying to find love and/or sex in the early part of the new American century. But no matter your preferences, you don't have to be scared or a victim. Arm yourself with some common sense and a little bit of knowledge. And find out from a longterm AIDS survivor: How to Stay HIV-Negative in an HIV-Positive World.

During the Los Angeles riots of 1992, I was approached by Frontiers Magazine and asked to write a piece about the violence and destruction that erupted after a jury acquitted four police officers on trial for the videotaped beating of black motorist Rodney King. Since I lived in LA, surviving, not writing, was on my mind. Fortunately, I did both. Shortly after the riots, I revealed to the world: Sometimes I Forget I'm a Nigger.

I coulda been a contender ... for a starting position on my school's football team. Instead, I thought I had to make a choice between being a fag and being an athlete. Since I couldn't stop myself from being a fag, I quit sports. What a shame. That's part of the reason homosexuality in sports is one of the things I write about most. And also why I wrote: College Football Players: Lighten Up on Your Gay Teammates!


Instead of sports, I pursued what I thought was the next best thing: someone who was still a participant. My older sister taught me about cheerleading when I was seven years old. By college, cheering was as natural as putting on my socks. I guess that's why I was able to become a cheerleader at both USC and UCLA. And also why, all these years later, people are still wondering: Whatever Happened to that Big Black Cheerleader?

When's the last time you felt like a kid while exercising? When's the last time you smiled while exercising? When's the last time you were exercising and it didn't feel like exercise? There's a new toy in town and it's probably the greatest non-electronic-gadget invention since ... well, ever! It's a life changer in all the right ways. It's one of the best things that's ever happened to me. It's .... The Trikke: Joyride of the 21st Century.