1/13/2008

More Love Than a Sex Club

(Reprint of a press release from West Beach Books in August 2006)


I got more love from more men this past weekend than I ever did in my sex club days--combined. But this time, the love was coming from the men’s hearts, and it was all about my dreams and my books, not my body parts.”

That’s how author Randy Boyd described the 2006 convention of the National Association of Black Men and White Men Together in Long Beach, California.

The five-time Lambda Literary Award nominee appeared in conjunction with his latest novel, Walt Loves the Bearcat, the story of a white quarterback and black cheerleader and their fantastical love affair that changes the world (and garnered a Lambda Literary Award nomination for Best Romance).
"Boyd, who’s black, expressed his frustration with the black gay community."
“Never before have I received so much support for my dream that a black boy and a white boy can be in love and deal openly and honesty with the crap from both the black and white communities. And have a lot of magical fun along with the way (picture flying football stadiums!)”

Speaking in front of a packed audience at the co-chairs’ luncheon, Boyd, who’s black, expressed his frustration with the black gay community, specifically when it comes to accepting interracial relationships. “You think you might find a home in the black gay community, and all I’ve mostly found is flat out rejection of me and my novels because of who my main characters (always black) choose to love.”

During his talk, Boyd mentioned some of the culprits by name, including At the Beach, an annual event held in Malibu and attended by thousands of African-Americans. Organizers told Boyd via email that his works weren’t ethnic enough for their literary salon.

“These people don’t value my work because they see my work as worth less, meaning they see love between a black man and a white man as worth less,” said Boyd, who’s working on his next novel, The Bearcat Boyz on the Road of Life. “But I don’t plan on focusing on why I’m being rejected. I’m going to focus on creating space where I’m accepted. That’s why it was such a great convention. No hate. Just love. There can be miracles.”

2 comments:

  1. Your work is not useless if it is helping someone out there. I guess as Blacks in America we just want to find love of our own race. There is nothing wrong with it nor having a relationship outside your race. I think the problem is when you only want that race as a companion and not excepting a relationship with your own race. There is plenty of that here but I don't hate on them....they just don't know what they are missing and missing love supreme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't any kind of love "love supreme"?

    ReplyDelete

Comment?